Here are some helpful hints for keeping your property in compliance with West Chicago’s standards:
- Make sure the siding of your house, garage or shed, or deck or fence do not have any exposed wood—such as peeling paint or failing, faded stain—rotted wood or damaged areas. It is important that all surfaces of your exterior structures are protected from the elements and intrusive pests.
- Check the condition of your roof on a regular basis for signs of curling or deteriorated shingles. If needed, plan to replace the roof before any major water damage occurs.
- Maintain existing gutters and downspouts to ensure they are properly affixed and draining away from your home.
- Remember to remove decorative holiday lighting by no later than March 25th of each year.
- Keep vehicles parked on approved hard surfaces such as driveways or paved areas and never park on the grass.
- Park any vehicles with a D-plate (over 8,000 lbs.) or higher inside of your garage. If you have a non-commercial trailer, only one may be parked on your driveway at any one time.
- Store garbage and recycling containers indoors or out of public view, such as behind a permitted, screened area.
General Property Maintenance
- Keep grass and any weeds cut to 8” or lower in height.
- Maintain landscaping and gardens so that areas are well cared for and not overgrown. If you encounter dead trees or shrubs on your property, they must be removed.
- Keep sidewalks, stoops and driveways maintained and free from potholes, crumbling asphalt or cracks. Obtain a permit if it’s time to replace or repair.
To file a complaint, call (630) 293-2200 extension 131 or 141 or email CommunityDev@westchicago.org.