Tuesday, October 31, 2017
Official Trick or Treat Hours: 3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Official trick or treat hours on Halloween, Tuesday, October 31, 2017 are 3:00 – 7:00 p.m. Parents are encouraged to go over some basic safety tips with children before the big day. The following information is provided by the West Chicago Police Department:
- Always wear light colored and/or reflective clothing so children can be seen in the dark
- Try to avoid wearing masks that will limit visibility, use face paint instead
- Make sure costumes are short enough to avoid a child tripping on it
- Never go trick or treating alone, either go with parents or with a group of friends
- If children are trick or treating without a parent, make sure their route is known
- Always walk on sidewalks, never in the street
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals or crosswalks where available, and always look both ways
- Carry a flashlight with you at all times and apply reflective tape to your child’s costume and/or treat bag to increase visibility to drivers on the road
- Only trick or treat at houses that have the front porch light on
- NEVER go in a house!!!
- Be cautious around animals and strangers
- Make sure to inspect all candy before eating and throw away any that is open. If you do find candy that has been tampered with or appears suspicious, contact the Police Department
- If older children are trick or treating without a parent, agree on a specific time when the children should return home
- When driving through residential areas, drive slowly and carefully
The West Chicago Police Department wishes everyone a happy, safe and spooky Halloween!
Note: Downtown businesses will be hosting a Trick or Treat event (following a Costume Parade and Contest sponsored by the City Museum) on Saturday, October 28, 2017 from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. Participating businesses will be identified by a welcoming jack-o-lantern poster in their window. (See picture above) More information here.