William Ripley built a feed and flour mill on what is now Main Street around 1875. The mill was powered by a windmill. Constructed next to the two story mill in 1878 was the Ripley House Hotel, run by William Ripley and his wife Jane. The three story building still stands at 200-202 Main Street.
As early as 1879 it was called “one of the best kept hotels in DuPage County.” Turner was an active rail point, and the hotel accommodated both train travelers for short stays and railroad workers who resided there. In 1895 it cost $1.50 a day to stay there.
The Ripley was a first class hotel with steam heat, noted for its good food, cleanliness and comfort. It touted a dining room on the mill building’s first floor, 24 rooms on the hotel’s second and third floors, and a third floor dance hall and meeting room. It was here that the Village of Turner met until Town Hall was built in 1884.
The hotel was the center of a busy social whirl: suppers, fairs, meetings, with dances and music being the predominant entertainment. In business for nearly 40 years, the Ripley closed in 1915.
In the 1920s the upper floors were converted into several apartments. Over the next 30 years the ground floor held Haffron’s Barber Shop and later a billiards parlor. For a time, Evelyn’s Beauty Shop shared space with the barber shop.
After 1950 various short-lived businesses occupied the first floor, and the upper floors were rented.
In December 2005 the City opened 200 Main as the new home of Gallery 200, an art outlet for local artists to display and sell their works. Gallery 200 also hosts opening receptions for featured artists, and art classes and workshops.