The first day of fall this year is Thursday, Sept. 22, 022. Leaves will start to change color and fall. Days will start to get shorter. Fall is apple time-apple cider donuts, apple pie, apple streusel, caramel apples and more. Mums and asters appear in the gardens. Take the time to enjoy the season(www.merleburl.com)
AROUND AND ABOUT
- West Chicago Public Library, 118 W. Washington St., is now open from 1 to 5 p.m. Sundays.
- The West Chicago Garden Club is now a part of the West Chicago's Adopt-A-Highway program.The club adopted West Hawthorne Lane between Woodside Drive and Harvester Road, which runs in front of the Park District location that the club uses for Plant Sale potting parties and plant storage.
- “Recycling Beyond the Basics” is the West Chicago Public Library program at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in the main program room, 118 W. Washington St. Participants learn about common misconceptions about the recycling process. The program delves into the do’s and don’ts of recycling. To make a reservation, visit https://wcpld.info, under calendar. (merleburl.com)
- West Chicago Garden Club ,meeting is Thursday, Sept. 22. 2022,at St. Andrew Lutheran Church, 151 N. Prince Crossing Road. Social time is at 6:45 p.m., short business meeting at 7 p.m. and program at 7:15 p.m. Attendees can arrive around 6:30 p.m. to view the new Monarch Garden at the church. Ruth Kyme parents the program, “Biomimicry: Looking to Nature to Solve Today’s Problems.” She shows many examples of when when science and technology looked to nature so solve complex problems. Animal ambassadors: Axolotl, Dart Frog, Crested Gecko and Hedgehog will accompany her.
Kyme has had a lifelong interest in the natural world. She spent 19 years associated with Brookfield Zoo’s Education Department as both a volunteer and employee teaching school groups.She is a master naturalist, a co-steward for the DuPage County Forest Preserve, education coordinator for the DuPage Monarch Project and avid gardener for both food production and habitat creation. ( As a side note, information on the Monarch Garden is under CHURChES.‚(www.merleburl.com)
- Winfield Township holds its annual Recycling Extravaganza from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Sept. 24, 2022, at the Township Road District Facility, 30W575 Roosevelt Road. Included again is the collection of non-perishable food items for Neighborhood Food Pantries located in West Chicago There is a $15 cash or credit card cost per car for electronic devices. Included among electronic items are computers, televisions, telephones and keyboards. Recycling for old latex paint is by Epaint Recycling Service, who accepts cash or credit card. The charges for latex paints are $1 for a one-quart can, $4 for a one-gallon can and $10 for a five gallon pail. Glad Can Recycling provides for the disposal of spray paint at the cost of $1 per can. PROSHRED Security provides on-site shredding of confidential paper documents. There is a limit of four banker boxes. DuPage County provided partial funding for this service. Among the acceptable miscellaneous items are cell phones, old flags, eye glasses, fire extinguishers, office furniture, clothing and musical instruments. Scrap metal items include gutters, metal hangers, metal lawn furniture, metal shelving, metal wheelbarrows and radiators. Items not accepted include hazardous waste, explosives, items containing mercury, air conditioners, batteries, dehumidifiers, fluorescent bulbs, motor oil, refrigerators, tires and smoke detectors. (merleburl.com)
- The West Chicago Police Department is having a fall mum sale with the help of We Grow Dreams Greenhouse and Garden Center. Persons have the opportunity to pre-order fall mums while supporting the thousands of athletes who participate in Special Olympics.Persons can choose from orange, red, yellow, purple and white mums for $12 each. Mums are available for pick up from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays Sept. 24 or Oct. 1, at the greenhouse, 1055 W. Washington St. Orders are accepted up to both pick up dates.To reserve your plants, call Police Officer Robyn Nielsen at 630-293-2222 or visit Police Department Facebook https://www.facebook.com/westchicagopolicedepartment/.
- Through Healthy West Chicago, there is a free flu clinic for ages three to 64 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, Sept. 26, 2022, at Supermercado Tampico 516 Main St. Appointments are not necessary.
- “Watercolor Leaf” is the West Chicago Public Library Gettin’ Crafty program at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2022, in the main program room, 118 W. Washington St. It is an easy watercolor session. To register, visit, https://wcpld.info, under library.
- The First Division Museum at Cantigny Park presents its Date with History series program at 7 p.m.Thursday Sept. 29, 2022, via Zoom or in person. Registration is not required for in person attendees. Online viewers must register in advance at org to receive a Zoom link. Lacey Fontaine , program assistant at the Charles Lindbergh House and Museum in Little Falls, Minn. presents the program, “Crime of the Century.” She discusses the kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh, Jr., the son of the famous aviator.
On March 1, 1932, Charlie, Jr. went missing from his crib at the Lindbergh home in Hopewell, NJ. Despite intense negotiation with the kidnapper, the child was never returned to his parents, and was found dead on May 12. The FBI arrested a suspect in September 1933, prompting the “Trial of the Century” in early 1935. Fontaine presents research conducted at the Charles Lindbergh House and Museum, and its conclusions based on the study of both secondary and primary sources connected to the case. (www.merleburl.com)
- Hawthorne’s Backyard Bar & Grill, 1200 West Hawthorne Lane, hosts the Second Annual Charity Kent Kopinski This tournament Sucks Golf Outing Monday, October 3, 2022, at Arrowhead Golf Club, 26W151 Butterfield Road in Wheaton. It is a 10:30 a.m. Shotgun start. The four man scramble price is $125 per person. The price includes golf, cart, green fees, driving range, food at the course and pig roast at Hawthorne’s.There are prizes and raffles. Register with the bartender or manager. Proceeds benefit the Kent Kopinski Caddy Scholarship Fund. (merleburl.com)
- West Chicago Park District is preparing for the Resurrection Trail to take place Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, Oct. 27, 28 and 29, 2022, in Reed Keppler Park. At this time, the district is seeking actors, make-up artists and event volunteers. For more information and/or volunteer visit we-goparks.org/special-events. (https://merleburl.com)
- The consolidated election for officials in the City of West Chicago, West Chicago Public Library District, West Chicago Elementary School District 33, Community High School District 94, Benjamin School District 25, St. Charles Community Unit School District 303, School District U-46, College of DuPage Board of Trustees and DuPage County Regional Board of School Trustees is April 4, 2023. The candidate election packets are available at the respective taxing body locations. School board candidates must either pick up packets at the DuPage County Election Commission, 421 North County Farm Road in Wheaton, or visit the commission website http://www.dupageco.org/election to obtain the forms.The telephone number for the election commission is 630-407-5600. Packets include information sheets, nominating petitions, statement of candidacy, loyalty oath (optional), and a statement of economic interest to be filed with the DuPage County Clerk. All candidates must be 18 years and older, a registered voter and a resident of the respective taxing body. Candidate filing begins Monday, Dec, 12, and ends Monday, Dec. 19.
The library and the park district did not have the information from the county last week. West Chicago Park District has three position for the Board of Commissioners. Within 30 days after the election, one of the three elected commissioners will be determined by lot to serve a term of 4 years; and the other two commissioners elected will serve a term of 6 years. Packets areavaailable for pick up from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at the ARC Center, 201 W. National St.To request a digital packet, email Melissa Medeiros at mmedeiros@we-go parks.org. Currently holding these positions are Teresa Carreno, Rick Spencer and Tony Zaputil.
In the West Chicago Public Library District, there are five positions open for the Board of Trustees, four 4-year terms and one 2-year unexpired term, Packets are available for pickup from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, at the library administrative office. 118 W. National St/ Currently serving in these positions are Nancy Conradt, Corrine Jakacki-Dattomo, Richard Bloom, Patricia Weninger and Scott Grotto.
City of West Chicago positions open are for seven Aldermen for four-year terms on City Council. Packets are available from 8 arm to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday at City Hall, 475 Main St. The Ward Map can be viewed on the City”s website, https://westchicago.org.
In West Chicago Elementary School District 33, there are three four-year seats open for the Board of Education. In Community High School District 94, there are three four-year positions open for the Board of Education .In St. Charles Community Unit School District 303, there are three four-year positions open for the Board of Education. In Benjamin School District 25, there are three four-year terms open. In School District U-46, there are four seats open for four-year termsThere are three positions opened for College of DuPage Board of Trustees. There are two seats available for DuPage County Regional Board of School Trustees.
SUPPORT OUR LOCAL BUSINESSES
- During the Fall Festival at Sonny Acres, 29W310 North Ave., there are daytime wagon rides. They take place from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays through Sundays. (https://merleburl.com)
- Crystal Cares is a personal assistant and errand service based out of West Chicago, Some of the services are caregiving, personal shopping, errand running, cleaning services, laundry and organization.Telephone number is 708-254-4074 and email is CrystalCaresIL@gmail.com. (https://merleburl.com)
The DuPage County Health Department developed a dashboard to provide information on the total number of people, in DuPage County, who have tested positive for COVID-19. In addition, the dashboard includes a map which shows the distribution of reported cases by municipality and is updated at 4:00 p.m. daily. DuPage County's "COVID-19 Dashboard" is a one-stop-shop for all the information it offers including a town-by-town breakdown of cases. As of Monday, Sept. 19, 2022, there were 10,617cases and 63 deaths; this is the number from the beginning of track recording.
- Deepest sympathy is expressed to the family of Carol Chapin, who at the age of 96 passed away Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022.
- Sincere sympathy is extended to the family of Edward Baum, who at the age of 64 passed away Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2022.
- Deepest sympathy is expressed to the family of Juan Huerta Duran, who at the age of 88 passed away Friday, Sept. 9, 2022.
- This is homecoming week at Wheaton Academy. Thursday, Sept. 22, the Varsity Foot ball game against Ridgewood Community High School is at 7:30 p.m.Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022. Tailgate party for Project Lead is from 5 to 8 p.m. with the $5 donation benefitting Haiti and the Dominican Republic projects. Friday, Sept. 23, are the soccer games against Riverside-Brookfield High School. The Junior Varsity game is at 6 p.m. Varsity game is at 8 p.m. followed by fireworks. The Fall Informal is from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 23. Activities include carnival, yard games, food trucks and DJ. Various alumni events take place over the weekend.
- The administrative sponsor for WeGo Together for Kids now is Metropolitan Family Services. The director Nikkt Beck Dean starts Monday, Sept, 26, 2022. Interim Coordinator Sarah Norton continues to be an invested partner with WGTK, representing West Chicago Elementary School District 33.
- The West Chicago Democracy School team of West Chicago Community High School attended the Annual Convening. Representatives from Democracy Schools in Illinois gathered to celebrate the new inductees and hear a slate of presenters on media literacy and civic learning.The Illinois Democracy Schools Initiative supports a growing network of high schools that are committed to bringing civic learning experiences to their students. (https://merleburl.com)
- In the Friday, Sept. 16, 2022, football game, Wheaton Academy won against Bishop McNamara with a score of 47-0.
- The weather Friday, Sept. 16. 2022, added the perfect touch for Homecoming at West Chicago Community High School.The spirit was contagious at the pep rally, especially with the announcement of the King Aiden Murrin and Queen.Anna Lesny. Young women of the Royal Court were Daisy Garcia, Chanel VerVynck, Audrey Dolor, and Leslie Perez, Young men of the Royal Court were Fabian Barrios,Diego Martinez, Gabriel Shade, Diego Avalos and Emiliano Lopez; Smiles were the norm of the parade participants.The musical tones of the band added the perfect pitch to the parade. (As a side note, persons can hear the songs played at football games and homecoming at the Marching Band. Showcase Monday, Oct. 14, in Bishop Gym.) The crowds at the football game saw an exciting game. Although West Chicago lost to Fenton High School, it was close. The final score was. 27-26. Alums and guests of different graduating classes held reunions. Bodo Gsdel, visiting here with the guests from Taufkirchen (Vils). Germany, was also here to celebrate the 45th reunion with his class. He was an exchange student in 1977. Homecoming dance was Saturday, Sept. 17. The theme was “WeGo Candyland.” Looking at the attire of the attendees, many seemed to go with the colors of the board game or characters, such as Black Licorice.All in all, a very successful 2022 Homecoming. (As a side note, Haggerty Ford loaned some vehicles for the parade) (https://merleburl.com)
- West Chicago Cultural Art Commission members and many young and old residents of West Chicago have been creating the WeGo Alebrije at the West Chicago Public Library. However, it now needs a name. Persons can vote for a name at com/4txrfujx. (https://merleburl.com)
COMMUNITY MEMBERS HIGHLIGHTS
- West Chicago resident Mollie Taylor is 90 on Tuesday, Sept. 27, 2022.
- Maggie Capettini, former education director at West Chicago City Museum, has a solo exhibit, “Garden of Paintings,” through Monday, Dec. 5, 2022, in the Gallery at Batavia Fine Arts Center, 1250 W. Wilson St. She painted mostly from life, many in her own garden. (https://merleburl.com)
- West Chicago resident Jim Benoit, owner of the model building business, Turner Junction Models, recently completed a model engine significant to West Chicago. A client wanted his GP38-2 relettered into the EJ&E “J Ball” as well as the addition of ditchights from and rear to complete the contemporary look. Benoit said, “Nice to build one of our West Chicago hometown heroes.” (https://merleburl.com)
- Cindy and Ray Soto celebrated their 30th Wedding Anniversary Monday, Sept. 19, 2022.
- \Nikki Burnitz and Parker DeMott were married Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022.The bride is the daughter of Jim and Maggie Burnitz.
- Rosalinda Delgado and Oscar Rodriguez became engaged Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022.
- The installation of Reverend Alex Molina, associate pastor at St. Andrew Lutheran Church is at 1 p.m. sunday, Sept. 25, 2002, at the church, 151 N. Prince Crossing Road.
- St, Andrew Lutheran Church, 151 N. Prince Crossing Road, now has a Monarch Garden The West Chicago Garden Club newsletter had an excerpt of the blog by Bruce Blake of the Sierra Club, River Platte Groups. which explained how this occurred. Cristobal Cavazos, of Immigrant Solidarity, talked to Pastor Josh Ebner about doing a Monarch garden on a grass area south of the church.The area was roughly 40 feet by 120 feet.A local landscaper, Daniel Fuentes, volunteered to remove the sod and help with the stonework for the pathway. After removing the sod, the organization had 40,000 pounds of crushed stone ordered for the path foundation .After the path was outlined a native seed mix,.a combination of many different native flowering plants to provide nectar, several types of milkweed, and a variety of tall grasses. Most to the work was done in 2021 with the blooming of flowers and plants taking place in the spring and summer of 2022. To read the entire article, visit https://sierraclubrpg.blogspot.com/2022/08/if-you-build-it-they-will-come.html, (https://merleburl.com)
- Muse Community +Design is the recipient of the American Planning Association-Illinois Chapter 2022 Daniel Burnham Award for its comprehensive plan for the City of West Chicago. West Chicago Forward/Adelante represents a unified vision for the city, reflecting the dreams West Chicago residents and stakeholders have for their community. Daniel Hudson Burnham FAIA was an American architect and urban designer. A proponent of the Beaux-Arts movement,According to Wikipedia, “he may have been, "the most successful power broker the American architectural profession has ever produced.” (https://merleburl.com)
- West Chicago City Museum once again presents Tales tombstones Tell Friday, Oct. 14, 2022, in Oakwood Cemetery. At this time volunteers are needed. To volunteer, visit firstname.lastname@example.org.
My email address is email@example.com.