Commercial Building Permits
Projects Requiring a Commercial Building Permit
The following are examples of types of construction or remodeling projects that require a commercial building permit.
- New commercial and industrial buildings
- Commercial and industrial additions, alterations and/or remodeling
- Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work including repairs
- Fire sprinkler systems and fire alarms
- Parking lots, sealcoating, and striping
- Signs (temporary and permanent)
If you are unsure if your project may require a Commercial Building Permit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants are encouraged to review the City’s Commercial Building Guidelines prior to filing a Commercial Building Permit Application.
The City’s building permit guidelines provide a summary of information required to submit a building permit application, obtain necessary inspections and receive a final occupancy permit for industrial, commercial or multi-family construction. Following these guidelines will assist the City in providing prompt reviews and approvals of development projects.
As with residential building permits, commercial building permits are required for new construction (including most accessory structures) and remodeling. A building permit is issued once plans that comply with City Code are received, reviewed, and approved. The builder is responsible for requesting all required inspections as construction proceeds.
Commercial Building Permit Applications can be completed using the PDF linked below.
Building permit payments can be made in person by check, cash, or credit/debit card at West Chicago City Hall, located at 475 Main Street, West Chicago, Illinois 60185. Checks should be made payable to the ‘City of West Chicago’, except when paying a fire alarm permit fee, in which case, checks should be made payable to the “West Chicago Fire Protection District”.
To safeguard property owners and guarantee construction quality, all contractors or subcontractors operating within the City of West Chicago must be registered with the City. As part of registration, all essential insurance, surety bonds, state or local licenses, and fee payments are required prior to a permit being issued.
Contract Registration Applications can be completed online.
Certificate of Occupancy
Certificates of Occupancy or Completion for commercial and industrial buildings are issued upon the completion of construction, subject to the satisfactory completion and approval of all required inspections.
Building Codes & Ordinances
As of January 1, 2024, the following building codes are in full force and effect:
- Building Code Requirements: 2021 International Building Code
- Existing Building Code Requirements: 2021 International Existing Building Code
- Residential Code Requirements: 2021 International Residential Code
- Electrical Code Requirements: 2020 National Electrical Code
- Mechanical Code Requirements: 2021 International Mechanical Code
- Fuel Gas Code Requirements: 2021 International Fuel Gas Code
- Plumbing Code Requirements: 2014 Illinois State Plumbing Code and 2021 International Plumbing Code
- Fire Protection Requirements: 2021 International Fire Prevention Code
- Property Maintenance Code Requirements: 2021 International Property Maintenance Code
- Energy Code Requirements: 2018 Energy Conservation Code
- Life Safety Code: 2021 NFPA 101
- Accessibility Requirements: 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design and 2018 Illinois Accessibility Code
View the complete West Chicago Code of Ordinances on the City’s website.