West Chicago, Illinois: November 7, 2013 – The West Chicago City Museum has announced the reissue of its 2001 commemorative ornament of the CB&Q Depot as part of the continuing Historic Ornament Series. The Depot ornament will be in full color and include updated information about the building.
Previously thought to have been built in 1893, it is now known that this historic depot was built in the 1860s. Its vertical board-and-batten frame construction is a great example of a typical railroad structure from that era. This remnant of a time when the Burlington started in Junction (now West Chicago) and ran to Aurora, was donated to the City by the Burlington in 1976. It had been moved from its original site on Wood Street to a railroad park that was formerly located near City Hall. In 2005 it was moved back near its original location.The new ornament will be available for purchase for $8.00 starting in November. Ornaments from past years, and a brochure listing the entire series, are also available for purchase. For purchase information, call the City Museum at (630) 231-3376 or e-mail email@example.com. As an added bonus for those especially interested in this piece of West Chicago history, and for the enjoyment of residents and visitors at Frosty Fest on Saturday, December 7, 2013, the actual CB&Q Depot, located at 133 Turner Court, will be open for viewing, live music and a train exhibit from 3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Also making news at the City Museum is the upcoming exhibit, Where History and Progress Meet, which will open with an artist reception on Friday, December 6, 2013 from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. during Late Night at the Museum. The exhibit is a collaboration between the City Museum and 16 contemporary artists who have been inspired by part of the City’s history and who created new original art for display alongside Museum artifacts. The exhibit will run through April 2014.