Garbage & Recycling Services
Please note: The City is contracted with Groot Industries, Inc. for all recycling and waste disposal services. If you have a service-related issue or question, please call (847) 429-7370 or visit Groot's website.
Residential units are billed quarterly through the City’s service provider. There are three service rate options available to residents. If your management service supplies dumpsters, the listed programs do not apply.
- Standard Program: Each household receives one 35- gallon capacity tote for their use for weekly waste collection. One universal refuse/yard waste sticker will be required for every extra can or bag.
- Large Family: Households can request a 95-gallon capacity tote (equivalent to about 3 regular garbage cans) for an additional monthly fee; universal stickers will be required for any extra items.
- Senior Discount: Seniors 65 years of age or older are eligible for a discount on the Standard Program. To receive a discount, please bring your driver’s license or State I.D. as well as your current property tax bill to City Hall for verification.
To arrange for cart delivery, or for more information, please call (847) 429-7370, or visit Groot’s website.
Current Service Rates
The following rates are effective as of January 1, 2023.
Garbage Service Fee Per Month:
- 35-Gallon cart (Senior Rate): $9.84
- 35-Gallon cart (Regular Rate): $14.56
- 95-Gallon cart: $20.71
Additional Service Changes:
- Universal Sticker: $2.51
- Yard Waste Cart Annual Subscription: $218.55
- Brush Collection Program Service Fee: $1.75/month. For more information about the City’s Brush Collection Program, please visit https://westchicago.org/brush-pick-up/.
Waste Disposal Sticker Locations
- La India, 653 Joliet Street, West Chicago
- DG Ace Hardware, 2650 E. Main Street, St. Charles
- Jewel Food Store #3260, 652 Kirk Road, St. Charles
- Jewel Food Store #3338, 177 E. Roosevelt Rd., West Chicago
- Murphy's Ace Hardware Store, 319 S. Neltnor Blvd., West Chicago
Residents on vacation, or away from their homes, for longer than four weeks may have their service stopped for this period and will not be billed. Service will automatically resume on a specified date.
Residents in need of a dumpster or dumpster bag rental service are required to use one of the following companies that are licensed with the City. Please note the maximum time allotted for dumpster storage is 14 days.
- D & P Construction
- Groot, Inc.
- Flood Brothers
- Lakeshore Recycling
- Waste Management
Regular Pickup Schedule
Resident pickup occurs on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday based on location of residence. Residents can view the pickup route map to see which day their pickup occurs.
Holiday Pickup Schedule
In the event a recognized holiday falls on a weekday, all regularly scheduled services shall be delayed by one day for the remainder of the week. Holidays falling on Sunday are observed the following Monday with services delayed one day that week.
Recognized holidays include: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
Yard Waste Collection
For information about ordering a yard-waste cart, please contact the City's service provider, Groot, for details and pricing at (847) 429-7370 or visit Groot's website for more information.
Bulk items are items which exceed fifty (50) pounds, and are too large to fit an approved refuse container that will require one (1) Universal Sticker in order to be picked up during regular weekly collection. Other examples of Bulk Items, include:
- Sofas, tables, dressers, chairs and mattresses, etc.
- Up to five (5) rolls of carpet no longer than 4-feet in length and 18-inches in diameter.
- Construction type debris in bundles not exceeding 4-feet in length or weighing more than fifty 50-pounds, or containers not weighing more than 50-pounds.
Recycling materials are collected curbside on regular service pickup days. Residents may use their own container, up to a 33 gallons, for recycling. Containers must be clearly marked as “Recycling". Residents may also visit City Hall to pick up a “RECYCLING” decal to affix to the can.
A Universal Sticker is not required for recycling pickup. If foreign materials are placed in the recycling can, the bin will be left with a notification of non-collection tag.
The City is not responsible for the replacement of the recycling bins. The homeowner needs to call Groot Industries, Inc. (877) 775-1200, or visit the website at www.groot.com for further information on recycling.
The City of West Chicago has contracted with Groot Industries, Inc. to provide residents with free drop-off of electronic waste at its e-waste facility located at 1995 Powis Road on Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Please contact Groot at (877) 775-1200 with any questions.