Downtown restaurants interested in outdoor dining on the public sidewalk next to their restaurant may apply to place tables and chairs in the public right-of-way for the summer season.
Approved outdoor dining on the public sidewalk is allowed from Monday, May 1 through Tuesday, October 31.
Restaurants that are interested in outdoor dining on the public sidewalk should carefully read the requirements and regulations. The application should be completed and submitted with all required documents to the Community Development Department located in City Hall at 475 Main Street.
The following items must be submitted with the License Agreement Application:
- Application fee in the amount of $50.
- Dimensioned site plan indicating the number and location of the tables and chairs on the sidewalk in the public right-of-way. The plan should also indicate the width of the sidewalk that will be maintained free from any obstructions.
- Signed original of the attached License Agreement. The License Agreement shall not be modified in any way.
- Certificate of Liability Insurance demonstrating comprehensive general liability insurance of $1 million for each occurrence and a general aggregate limit for professional liability insurance no less than $2 million. Licensor, its officials, agents, employees, volunteers, and independent contractors shall be named as additionally insured. The additional insured must be covered with respect to liability arising out of any bodily injury, death of any person, or property damage resulting from the use of the public right-of-way for the Licensed Area. No endorsements or additional forms shall modify or limit coverage provided to additional insured. Coverage provided to additional insured shall be primary as it relates to use of the public right-of-way for the seating area.
- If alcohol is to be served within the licensed area on the public sidewalk, a Class L Liquor License shall be obtained from the City of West Chicago prior to the sale or consumption of any alcoholic beverages within the licensed area on the public sidewalk.
- Outside seating on the public sidewalk is only permitted between May 1st and October 31st and only after approval has been granted by the City of West Chicago. All outside seating must be removed by November 1st.
- The outside seating area shall not obstruct pedestrian traffic. A minimum clearance of 3-feet in width must be maintained at all times for all pedestrian traffic.
- All trash originating in the seating area must be disposed of within the building. No littler may occur within the public right-of-way as a result of the outdoor seating.
- The following activities are prohibited within the outdoor seating area:
- Food or drink preparation
- Storage of dishes, utensils, menus, or other similar items
- Host/hostess station
- Service or consumption of alcohol unless a Class L Liquor License has been issued by the City
- Video gaming devices
- Speakers or other outdoor amplification, including live entertainment, outside of the building
- Signage, balloons, streamers, pennants, spinners, or any other object with the sole purpose of attracting vehicles or pedestrians