The following information is courtesy of SCARCE.
SCARCE and Green Grease are teaming up again with local municipalities for the 8th Annual post-Thanksgiving Cooking Oil Collection, Saturday November 28, 2020.
The event is timed for those who fry their turkey or have excess stockpiled vegetable cooking oil. The oil may be dropped off at one of the participating locations for it to be recycled into biodiesel.
Cooking oil clogs pipes in homes and streets, resulting in costly clogs and breaks – so residents are advised not to pour it down the drain. Liquids are not allowed in trash.
Pouring oils in storm drains pollutes local water bodies and can clog storm drains. Recycling cooking oils into biodiesel turns your old cooking oil into a valuable product. Biodiesel also burns 38% cleaner than conventional diesel fuel, and is an important option for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
So cease the grease and recycle your liquid cooking oil at one of the following locations on Saturday, November 28, 2020:
- Addison: SCARCE, 800 S. Rohlwing Rd. Unit D – 9:00 am – noon
- Clarendon Hills: Public Works, 452 Park Avenue – 9:00 am – noon
- Downers Grove: Sanitary Treatment Center, 2710 Curtiss Street – 9:00 a.m. – noon
- Elmhurst: Public Works, 985 S Riverside Drive – 9:00 am – noon
- Glen Ellyn: Glenbard Wastewater Authority, 945 Bemis Road – (Residents may leave their container of oil in the bin outside the office front door on November 28, 2020
- Naperville: Household Hazardous Waste, 156 Fort Hill Drive – 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Roselle: City Hall, 31 S Prospect Street – 9:00 a.m. – noon
- Wheaton: 820 W. Liberty – 9:00 a.m. – noon
- Wheaton: Sanitary District, 1S640 Shaffner – ONLY 10:00 a.m. – noon
Cooking oil containers will be kept at each location. Please bring cooking oil in a container that you can leave behind.
**Only liquid vegetable cooking oil will be collected. No solid fats (ie bacon grease) or motor oil will be collected at this event.
For more information, additional locations as they are added , and a list of year-round cooking oil collection sites , visit www.scarce.org or call SCARCE at (630) 545-9710.