Students From West Chicago and Beyond Invited to Learn About All Areas of Aviation; Highlights Include Sitting inside Cockpits, Meeting Pilots, Experiencing Flight Simulators and More
As another school year takes flight, the DuPage Airport Authority (DAA) and the City of West Chicago are inviting local students and their families to the airport for an educational and fun-filled day revolving around aviation. The second annual Back to School Celebration, along with WGN TV and WGN Radio, will take place from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at DuPage Airport in West Chicago.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Interact with airport management, pilots and planners
- Sit inside cockpits and explore a wide array of classic and military aircrafts
- Visit WGN’s Skycam 9 Helicopter
- Operate flight simulators
- Learn about airport fire and rescue protocols
- Climb onto airport maintenance and snow removal equipment
- Experience a fire safety simulator
- Examine interactive law enforcement displays
- Tour a mobile command center
- Navigate an inflatable obstacle course and scale a climbing wall
Attendees will also get to meet first responders from the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office, West Chicago Police Department and the West Chicago Fire Protection District, members of the Boy Scouts Three Fires Council, Civil Air Patrol, as well as West Chicago Mayor Ruben Pineda. Food and refreshments will be provided. Admission to the event is free, but anyone interested is asked to register beforehand at www.dabacktoschool.eventbrite.com.
“We are thrilled to join together with DuPage Airport for the second annual Back to School Celebration,” said Mayor Pineda. “This event will provide West Chicago-area students with an interactive and engaging look into the world of aviation through the lens of a premier business airport that happens to be right here in our backyard.”
Operating 24 hours per day and 365 days per year, DuPage Airport handles more than 80,000 flights annually across four runways. “We are eager to showcase all that goes into our facility, and can’t think of a better way to send the students back to school than a fun-filled day at the airport,” said David Bird, Executive Director of the DuPage Airport Authority.
- Date: Tuesday, August 28, 2018
- Time: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Location: DuPage Airport – 2700 International Drive, West Chicago, 60185
- Registration: www.dabacktoschool.eventbrite.com.