Residents are encouraged to participate in the 2021 Healthy West Chicago Virtual Wellness Challenge, and join in the virtual physical activity events available to all throughout the year through a new free digital app.
Continuing its tradition of promoting an active lifestyle through movement activities, Healthy West Chicago is launching a New Year Wellness Challenge, starting on January 11, 2021.
Heka Well, the new free digital app, has features that include the option to track your own personal health. There will be monthly scan-in opportunities for bonus steps, prizes, and access to the challenge leaderboard on the Healthy West Chicago Challenge Page.
For those who have already participated in the West Chicago Move with the Mayor Walking Challenge during previous months, existing login credentials may still be used, however, the new app will need to be installed and registration completed.
To stay up-to-date on the challenge prizes and bonus activities, follow Healthy West Chicago on Facebook or subscribe to their website at www.healthywestchicago.org. For more information, visit HWC Wellness Challenge Page or HWC Wellness Challenge Info.
It is easy to download the app by scanning a HWC Wellness Challenge QR code or downloading it from their personal device. Users may then pair the app with their choice of activity trackers like Fitbit, Garmin, Apple Watch or those built into their Smart devices. The app collects data on personal steps logged, distance walked, BMI, and ranking among other participants. Cumulative step leaders are displayed which provides the motivation of a friendly competition among other community members.
Healthy West Chicago hopes to see some new active participants in 2021 on its new wellness app.
1) Download the latest “Heka Well” Challenge app. (Note that the app has a new name): THE APP LINKS BELOW WILL BE ACTIVATED ON JANUARY 7th, 2:00 p.m.
2) Complete the registration, user profile (new) and pairing process:
- Launch the Heka Well app and select “Healthy West Chicago”
- Register or Login
- If you already have a Challenge account, on the Register screen “Tap Here If You Already Have An Account” and log in using your existing email and password.
- New users, create an account. (Enter email, name and password):
Choose a Nick Name. (Existing users may re-use their previous Nick Name.)
Choose your Team. Compete with other Teams based on average step counts. The top 3-5 teams will display on the Healthy West Chicago Team Leaderboard within the app.
Choose a Measurement System: Imperial (feet, inches, miles) or Metric (centimeters, kilograms, kilometers)
Enter your Height and Weight (optional). Check your BMI value in the app during the Challenge months. ***
3) Start Walking!
- To sync your step data to the app, select “Tap to sync steps” at the top of the dashboard
- Note that your steps will only count from the time you first pair your step tracker
- Please make sure you are actively logged into the Challenge app and SYNC YOUR STEP DATA FREQUENTLY, AT LEAST ONE TIME PER DAY, and before the Challenge end time to make sure all your steps count!