July 14, 2020
The City of West Chicago, a western DuPage County suburb, seeks a leading consultant and creative partner to prepare a Comprehensive Plan for the community. The most recent update is an amended Comprehensive Plan Map from 2006. There has not been new text associated with the Comp Plan since 1995. (Maps are found at https://westchicago.org/departments/administrative-services/geographic-information-system-gis/.)
The 2019 population estimate for the City is 26,816 residents, but add to that a substantial manufacturing/distribution employment base on weekdays. In fact, most of the City’s land area falls into that general category, along with the third busiest airport in Illinois. There are few areas remaining to add significant housing stock, although some unique opportunities exist such as extensive City-owned property near the downtown.
Significantly, the Hispanic/Latinx population makes up 53% of the residents (versus 37% non-Hispanic white), many with Spanish as their primary or only language. One important task for the consultant will be to expand and enhance meaningful dialogue with this community to ensure that their thoughts about the future of the City are incorporated into the Plan. Furthermore, with the pandemic reducing opportunities for traditional public outreach, new creative approaches are essential. These may include:
- Greater emphasis on online tools that are direct and easy to use.
- Outreach using locally relied upon Spanish language media and comfortable meeting locations.
- Easy and informative processes that succeed in building trust and creating ongoing relationships.
- Other tools/approaches seen as valuable in achieving the City’s outreach goals.
Despite the lack of guidance afforded by a more recent Plan, there are a number of useful Plans and studies available to help look to the future:
- In 2016, the City prepared a Strategic Plan that included many items suitable for inclusion in a Comprehensive Plan.
- An update to the City’s Downtown Plan was completed in December 2018, which the City is actively pursuing.
- A retail market study is available to guide land use discussions for the City’s northern area.
- Three TIF area plans (one north, one south and one downtown) are available for review.
- A draft City of West Chicago Economic Development Plan contains useful data, but the Plan has not been adopted.
- Housing data is available in the CMAP “Homes for a Changing Region” study covering this area.
- Historical information is available at the City’s Museum, such as our early role as a key rail hub.
The City will provide GIS data for mapping purposes..
Our Planning Commission/ZBA meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month. At this time, we assume we would dedicate the second meeting of the month to Plan development.
The City of West Chicago hopes, in the end, to receive a practical, usable Comprehensive Plan. It should contain all the typical elements found in Comprehensive Plan’s in Illinois. It should be attractive and user-friendly. The City does not require a high-tech plan with an emphasis on dazzle. However, the City wants a Comp Plan in English and a Plan Maestro in Spanish, ideally in one document. Google Translate will not suffice and, while many City employees can help and will review documents, staff will not become the primary translator for the project.
The deadline for submittal of qualifying materials is August 3, 2020 at 4:30 P.M. Your submittal in English should include the following:
- Describe your firm’s experience in preparing comprehensive plans. If you have experience with multilingual plan preparation, please highlight that, especially if it involves Spanish.
- Describe your current capabilities, as it relates to your proposal, with Latinx outreach, and Spanish oral and written translation.
- Provide resume(s) of key staff to be used by the firm.
- Describe the steps and processes you propose to employ for outreach to a community hampered by COVID-19.
- Provide a timeline with tasks and a Plan Table of Contents, assuming a $100,000+/- budget including all personnel, materials and travel expenses.
- In a separate envelope, provide a not-to-exceed price.
The City of West Chicago retains the option to negotiate or reject any proposals.
Submit three copies of your proposal and one electronic copy to:
Tom Dabareiner AICP
Community Development Director
City of West Chicago
475 Main Street
West Chicago, IL 60185
email@example.com (for questions)
Any questions should be received no later than July 27, 2020 by 4:30 P.M. electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.