With the Independence Day holiday quickly approaching, the City would like to remind everyone of the state and local laws regarding fireworks, as well as offer a few safety tips.
It is unlawful to possess, sell, use or explode any fireworks within the City of West Chicago. Those fireworks considered to be illegal include, but are not limited to; handheld fireworks, firecrackers, skyrockets, roman candles, and bombs. “Consumer fireworks” are not prohibited by ordinance and include sparklers, snakes, smoke devices, trick noisemakers, among a few others. Anyone seen violating the fireworks law/ordinance may receive a citation.
- Always use common sense when handling fireworks.
- Never let a child handle fireworks unattended, adult supervision is a must.
- Always keep fireworks away from a house and any other structures.
- Keep a bucket of water or hose nearby.
- Only light fireworks outdoors.
- Do not alter or combine any fireworks.
- Do not try to re-light a “dud” firework.
If you observe anyone with illegal fireworks, or handling fireworks in an unsafe manner, please do not hesitate to call 9-1-1. The City wishes everyone a happy and safe July 4th.