Every December, the West Chicago Fire Protection District displays a wreath with red bulbs on each of our fire stations. These wreaths are part of our “Keep the Wreath Red” holiday fire safety program.
Anytime there is a fire in West Chicago that can be attributed to holiday decorations, a red bulb on the wreath is switched with a white one. Some ways that you can help us keep the wreath red….
* Use decorations made of fire resistive materials.
* Be sure light strings are in good condition. Replace damaged strings.
* Do not overload electrical outlets
* If you use a real Christmas tree, make sure it is fresh and keep it well watered, water it daily.
* Candles should be kept away from combustible decorations, in secure holders, and extinguished when you’re not home and at bedtime.