Pre-Ride Safety Checklist
Before you jump on your bike and hit the road, you first need to make sure your bike is safe for a ride. Here are a few pre-ride checks to conduct:
– Make sure the tires are properly inflated
– Check that the brakes engage properly and smoothly
– Look over the chain and gears, lubricating them if needed
– Ensure the seat and handlebars are adjusted properly
– Do a quick scan of the bike, making sure there are no loose nuts/bolts, it’s not excessively dirty, etc.
– If riding at night, make sure reflectors are in place and light(s) work
– If going for a long ride, do a short trip around the block to make sure it rides smoothly
Keep checking back throughout the entire month of May for more safety tips and reminders from the West Chicago Police Department on its Facebook page.
Visit the National Safety Council’s website for more information about bike safety.