The City has received notice that the West Chicago Mosquito Abatement District has authorized a District-wide mosquito spraying for Wednesday, August 8, 2018, weather permitting.
Spraying will begin around 9:00 p.m. and continue until 2:00 – 3:00 a.m.
Citizen questions may be directed to the Mosquito Hotline (800-942-2555) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safety Tips to Help Prevent West Nile Virus:
According to Clarke Mosquito Control, our partners in mosquito control, individuals can take the following steps to protect themselves against infection and assist in the fight against West Nile Virus:
- If outdoors when mosquitoes are active, dress in light-colored, long-sleeved clothing, long pants and socks when outdoors during prime mosquito hours. Apply mosquito repellent with DEET to clothing and exposed skin in accordance with label directions.
- Neglected swimming pools can be ideal sources for larval development to the mosquito species that transmits WNV and a public health hazard. Residents should report neglected pools to the MOSQUITO HOTLINE @ 1-800-942-2555. Technicians would be dispatched to inspect and treat the pool, as necessary to eliminate the risk.
- Discard any outdoor container that might hold water, or empty water from wading pools and birdbaths once a week.
- Keep grass cut short and shrubbery well trimmed around the house so adult mosquitoes will not hide there.
- Do not dump grass clippings into low lying areas that collect water after rainfalls to prevent mosquito larvae development. The use of mulching lawnmowers is encouraged to eliminate grass clipping disposal.
- Report dead birds on your property to the DuPage County Health Department. Dead birds (crows, blue jays and raptors) can be the first indicators of the presence of West Nile Virus in the area.
For the latest information on WNV, consult the DuPage County Health Department website.
District residents are encouraged to report standing water areas that could develop larvae, and excessive mosquito annoyance conditions. The calls should be made to WCMAD’s contractor, Clarke Environmental Mosquito Management, Inc. of St. Charles, on the MOSQUITO HOTLINE @ 1-800-942-2555.