The West Chicago Police Department has reported a recent string of motor vehicle burglaries in the 800 block of E. Grandlake Boulevard, the 300 block of Ingalton Avenue, and the 200 and 300 blocks of N. Oak Street. Although those responsible for the thefts have been apprehended, the following safety tips are provided to help residents prevent future motor vehicle burglaries:
- Always roll up windows and lock all doors.
- If storing the vehicle in a garage, be sure the garage door is closed.
- Do not keep valuables (wallets, purses, GPS units, cell phones, etc.) in plain view – either take them with you or secure them in the trunk.
- Never leave the vehicle running and unattended.
- Park vehicles in well-lit areas.
- Do not hide a spare key in or on the vehicle.
- If you see anyone suspicious near a vehicle, call 9-1-1.
In addition, the Police Department reminds residents to lock doors and windows not only in garages but also in their residences prior to going to bed for the night or any time the residence is unoccupied.