The West Chicago Police Department has seen an increase in the number of burglaries to motor vehicles. These crimes can take place anywhere and, in many cases, the common factor is that the vehicles were left unlocked.
The West Chicago Police Department is asking the public to follow the safety tips below to help prevent falling victim to car burglary:
- Always roll up your windows and lock all the doors.
- If storing your vehicle in a garage, be sure the garage door is closed.
- Do not keep valuables (wallets, purses, GPS units, cell phones, etc.) in plain view, either take them with you or secure them in the trunk.
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
- Park your vehicle in well-lit areas.
- Do not hide a spare key in or on your vehicle.
The West Chicago Police Department needs your assistance apprehending the burglars. If you see anyone suspicious near your, or anyone else’s, vehicle, call 9-1-1. Make the call; don’t assume your neighbor will. They might be assuming you will call.
If you have any information regarding these incidents, please contact the West Chicago Police Department at (630) 293-2222, or if you wish to remain anonymous you may call the DuPage County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.