Downtown Halloween Festivities
Saturday, October 27, 2018
The City of West Chicago and the West Chicago Public Library District invite the community to participate in FREE Halloween Festivities on Saturday, October 27, 2018. Traditional favorites like the Costume Contest, Halloween Costume Parade, and Downtown Trick-or-Treat on Main Street will be supplemented by a new offering, Trunk or Treat, in the parking lot of the Library at 118 West Washington Street. Trunk-or-Treat brings businesses and organizations together to decorate their car trunks and pass out wrapped candy or toys. Light refreshments will be served inside the Library where additional Halloween activities take place. The following lists activity times:
- 11:30 a.m. Costume Contest Registration
- 12:00 p.m. Costume Judging
- 12:15 p.m. Halloween Costume Parade
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Downtown Trick-or-Treat & Library Trunk-or-Treat
Those wishing to participate in the Costume Contest should register at tents located in the West Chicago Public Library Parking Lot (118 W Washington St). Age categories for the Costume Contest are infant to 5, 6-10, 11-15, and 16 and older. Awards will be given at end of parade. All participants will receive a free trick-or-treat bag, sponsored by Republic Bank.
Children can then participate in the Downtown Trick-or-Treat and Library Trunk-or-Treat from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. A pumpkin event poster will be displayed in the front windows of participating businesses during the Downtown Trick-or-Treat.
It is not too late to register a business for either the Downtown Trick-or-Treat or Library Trunk-or-Treat. Contact Bethany Bayci at email@example.com or 630-293-2200, ext. 176 if interested.
Event Parking: Please park in the Turner Court lot (adjacent to the Library lot) or at the District 94 Administrative Office lot at 157 W. Washington Street. Parking will be limited in the Library parking lot due to the Trunk-or-Treat.
Tuesday, October 31, 2018
Official Trick or Treat Hours: 3:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Official trick or treat hours on Halloween, Tuesday, October 31, 2018 are 3:00 – 7:00 p.m. Parents are encouraged to go over some basic safety tips with children before the big day. The following information is provided by the West Chicago Police Department:
- Always wear light colored and/or reflective clothing so children can be seen in the dark
- Try to avoid wearing masks that will limit visibility, use face paint instead
- Make sure costumes are short enough to avoid a child tripping on it
- Never go trick or treating alone, either go with parents or with a group of friends
- If children are trick or treating without a parent, make sure their route is known
- Always walk on sidewalks, never in the street
- Cross streets at corners, using traffic signals or crosswalks where available, and always look both ways
- Carry a flashlight with you at all times and apply reflective tape to your child’s costume and/or treat bag to increase visibility to drivers on the road
- Only trick or treat at houses that have the front porch light on
- NEVER go in a house!!!
- Be cautious around animals and strangers
- Make sure to inspect all candy before eating and throw away any that is open. If you do find candy that has been tampered with or appears suspicious, contact the Police Department
- If older children are trick or treating without a parent, agree on a specific time when the children should return home
- When driving through residential areas, drive slowly and carefully
The West Chicago Police Department wishes everyone a happy, safe and spooky Halloween!