For the latest weather updates, visit the National Weather Service’s website at www.weather.gov.
A blizzard warning prompts a reminder to residents to take precautions to ensure their health and safety.
- Avoid road travel
- Avoid exposure by staying indoors
- Layer clothing to manage heat retention
- Seek a warming station for relief of inclement conditions if away from the home (call the West Chicago Police Department at (630) 293-2222 for a referral)
- Follow manufacturer directions for supplemental heating devices (maintain proper ventilation, clearance and adherence to guidelines for proper circuits and extension cords)
- Keep heat source away from combustible materials
- Check carbon monoxide detectors – with furnaces and heaters working over-time, carbon monoxide build-up can become an issue
Additionally, it is wise to check periodically on elderly relatives, friends and neighbors, as well as people with disabilities and those taking medication for chronic health conditions who are at greater risk in extreme conditions. Anyone needing emergency assistance should call 911 immediately.