The City is contracted with Groot Industries, Inc. If you have a service-related issue or question, please call (877) 775-1200, or visit the website .
The City of West Chicago’s solid waste collection program is a modified volume-based program whereby the hauler will provide either one 35-gallon cart or one 95-gallon cart. Participation in this service is mandatory for single family and certain multi-unit dwellings. If your management service supplies dumpsters, this does not apply to you. Please contact Groot to arrange for your cart to be delivered.
West Chicago Trash Routes (Updated 2016) - .pdf 4MB
When is My Trash Pick Up Day? - (Interactive map)
Holidays In the event any of the following holidays fall on a weekday, or a Sunday, all refuse, yard waste, and recyclable collection services scheduled on that day and for the remainder of the collection week shall be delayed one day after the recognized holiday. Any holiday falling on Sunday will be observed the following Monday with services delayed one day that week. New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas are such holidays.
Billing Each residential unit will be billed quarterly. Groot will accept payment via credit card, check and will also make available a direct debit option. Please call Groot or visit their website for online bill payment at www.groot.com.
The quarterly bill will also reflect a $1.75/month charge for the City’s brush collection program. If you will be away from West Chicago for longer than four weeks, contact Groot to have your service stopped for this period. You will not be billed for this time away. Service will automatically be resumed on the date you specify.
Options & Monthly Rates
Standard Program Option – Each household will receive one 35- gallon capacity tote for their use for weekly waste collection. One universal refuse/yard waste sticker will be required for every extra can or bag.
Large Family Option – Households have the option of a 95-gallon capacity tote (equivalent to about 3 regular garbage cans) for an additional monthly fee; universal stickers will be required for any extra items.
Senior Discount Program – Seniors 65 years of age or older are eligible for a discount on standard (35-gallon) program ONLY. Bring your driver’s license or State I.D. as well as your current property tax bill to City Hall for verification. One 35-Gallon Cart – Current Senior Rate
$ 9.00/month (Heads of household 65 years or older) Seniors may especially find this to their benefit because of the small amounts of garbage they generate.
- Stickers - $2.30 each
- 35-gallon cart (Seniors) - $9.00
- 35-gallon cart (non-Seniors) - $13.33
- 95-gallon cart - $18.95
One (1) Universal Sticker is needed for each can or bag outside the cart. Ten (10) Universal Stickers are needed per appliance – Call Groot at (877) 775-1200 for special pickup. One (1) Universal Sticker is needed for each “Kraft” bag of yard waste.
*New Rates Effective January 1, 2021
- Stickers - $2.37 each
- 35-gallon cart (Seniors) - $9.27
- 35-gallon cart (non-Seniors) - $ 13.73
- 95-gallon cart - $19.52
Currently, universal stickers are available at the following locations:
- BP, 219 S. Neltor Blvd., West Chicago
- La India, 653 Joliet Street, West Chicago
- DG Ace Hardware, 2650 E. Main Street, St. Charles
- Jewel Food Store #3260, 652 Kirk Road, St. Charles
- Jewel Food Store #3338, 177 E. Roosevelt Rd., West Chicago
- Murphy's Ace Hardware Store, 319 S. Neltnor Blvd., West Chicago
Bulk Items Each bulk item requires one (1) Universal Sticker to be affixed to it when placed out for weekly collection.
- Any items which are too large to fit an approved refuse container and which exceed fifty (50) pounds.
- Sofas, tables, dressers, chairs and mattresses, etc. Each item requires one (1) Universal Sticker.
- One (1) Universal Sticker is required for up to five (5) rolls of carpet (no longer than 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter).
- Construction type debris may be put in bundles not exceeding 4 feet in length or weighing more than fifty (50) pounds, or containers not weighing more that fifty (50) pounds. Each bundle requires one (1) Universal Sticker.
Recycling materials are collected curbside on your primary day of service. The collection crew will not separate the commingled and paper materials curbside. You may use a 30-33 gallon garbage can for your recycling, but the can must be clearly marked “RECYCLING”. You may also stop in at City Hall and pick up a “RECYCLING” decal to affix to the can. A Universal Sticker is not required for recycling pickup. If foreign materials are placed in the recycling can, the bin will be left with a notification of non-collection tag. The City is not responsible for the replacement of the recycling bins. The homeowner needs to call Groot Industries, Inc. (877) 775-1200, or visit the website at www.groot.com for further information on recycling.
Groot Recycle Guide - .pdf 405kb
Guias De Reciclaje - .pdf 478kb
Textile/Clothing Donation & Recycling DuPage County has partnered with eWorks and RewearAble to collect clothing and textiles for reuse and recycling. Items not able to be reused will be turned into cleaning/painting rags or reused in insulation, packing material and carpeting. RewearAble is a non-profit that provides sustainable employment for adults with disabilities.
Acceptable items: clothing, sheets, bedding, towels and other household textiles in any condition. No heavily soiled items.
- Addison Township Highway Dept. - 411 W. Potter St., Wood Dale, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.; May 30, 2020; August 29, 2020; October 31, 2020
- Bloomingdale Township Highway Dept. - April 4, 2020; June 6, 2020; August 1, 2020; October 3, 2020; 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Village of Burr Ridge - Public Works Facility; 451 Commerce St.; Mon - Fri; 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- City of Elmhurst – 985 S. Riverside Dr.; 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. Quarterly; April 25, 2020, July 25, 2020; October 24, 2020
- Village of Lisle - 925 Burlington Ave., Commuter Parking Lot B; Quarterly 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.; March 21, 2020 (location temporarily at Benedictine University): June 20, 2020; September 19, 2020; December 19, 2020
- City of Wheaton - 2nd Saturday of each month; Public Works Storage Lot; 820 W. Liberty St.; 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Electronic Recycling Beginning January 1, 2012, landfills are no longer able to accept electronic waste. The City of West Chicago has contracted with Groot Industries, Inc. to provide residents with free drop-off of electronic waste at its e-waste facility located at 1995 Powis Road on Saturdays from 8:00 – 11.00 a.m. Contact Groot at (877) 775-1200 with any questions.
Household Hazardous Waste The regional drop-off site for disposal of hazardous materials is 156 Fort Hill Drive, Naperville (located in the Public Works Building). Drop-offs may be made on Saturdays and Sundays, from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., excluding holidays. For a list of acceptable and not acceptable items for drop-off, please refer to the flier below. For further information, contact SCARCE at email@example.com or (630) 545-9710. You may find more information at www.scarce.org.
Hazardous Waste Recycling - pdf 111
Vegetable Oil Recycling What happens if you pour grease down the sink? If you have public sewer service, grease and oil collects in grease traps in the sewer system. Over time, it accumulates causing backups in your home or business' water system, or worse, full-on blockages of the entire sewer line. If you have a septic system, grease and oil can collect in your septic lines and tank, causing pipe blockages and expensive pump-outs by a service company. Pouring your used cooking oil outside can attract vermin and can runoff into streams and rivers. The answer is recycling. Winfield Township Road District accepts used vegetable cooking oil in plastic containers for recycling on Mondays, from 7:00 - 11:00 a.m. (excluding holidays). Please note: Animal Fat is Not Accepted.
Cooking Oil Flier (English) - .pdf