News from DuPage County
DuPage County expects to receive approximately $3.4 million in funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the Community Development Block Grant Program, $250,000 for the Emergency Solutions Grant Program, and $1.3 million for the HOME Investment Partnerships Act Program for FY2015. The overall goal of these three programs is to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and expanding economic opportunities principally for low and moderate income persons. It is estimated that at least 95% of the DuPage County funds received from these three programs, and covered by the Consolidated Plan, will benefit persons of low and moderate income.
A draft Consolidated Plan describing the use of these funds in the next program year, and describing the strategies for the use of these funds for 2015 through 2019, has been prepared for public comment.
A public hearing regarding the consolidated plan will be held:
Thursday, January 15, 2015 @ 6:00 p.m.
421 North County Farm Road
Room 1-500b, (first floor, north end of building)
The location of the public hearing is accessible to people with disabilities. Anyone requiring special accommodation should contact the DuPage County Department of Community Services, Community Development Office at (630) 407-6600.
Complete copies of the draft Consolidated Plan are available for review beginning January 2, 2015, at the Community Development Office. A CD version will be available at several public libraries and municipalities throughout the DuPage County Consortium area, which includes any municipality wholly or partly in DuPage County. Additional free copies are available to interested organizations or individuals, and may be obtained by contacting the DuPage County Community Development Office. The primary elements of the Consolidated Plan are summarized as follows:
1. Executive Summary – This provides a description of the area served by the ConPlan, policy groups, and summary of distribution of funds.
2. Process – Describes lead agencies, contact information, consultations, surveys conducted, agencies consulted in ConPlan development, and citizen participation.
3. Housing Market Analysis – This section includes an overview. Number of units, cost analysis, condition of housing, homelessness, goals, barriers to affordable housing.
4. Needs Assessment – Includes an overview, summary of housing needs, housing problems, housing cost burdens, public housing, homeless needs, special-needs population needs, non-housing community development needs.
5. Strategic Plan – Describes priority needs, anticipated resources, goals, anti-poverty strategy, monitoring. Anticipated resources includes Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery funds of approximately $31 million that the County may receive from HUD during the 5-year Consolidated Plan Period.
6. Action Plan for 2015 – Includes expected resources, specific proposed projects, homeless and other special-needs activities.
The anticipated HUD resources are estimates, and as such, the County may add, subtract or transfer amounts among identified projects without publishing a substantial amendment.
Written comments on the Consolidated Plan will be accepted until 4:30 p.m. on February 2, 2015. Written comments may be sent to: DuPage County Department of Community Services, Community Development Office, 421 North County Farm Road Room 3-100, Wheaton, Illinois 60187.