The Commission meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:00 p.m. The Commission has no vacancies.
The duties of this Commission include:
(1) Adopt its own procedural regulations.
(2) Advise and recommend to the mayor and city council on the administration of all city-owned or -operated historical museums or grounds, and on all matters of a historical nature.
(3) Recommend to the city council ways and means of receiving and expending grants, donations and income.
(4) Conduct an ongoing survey to identify West Chicago's historically and architecturally significant properties, structures and areas, including landscapes.
(5) Investigate and recommend to the city council certain West Chicago properties or structures having special historic, community or architectural value be designated as "landmarks".
(6) Investigate, hold public hearings and recommend to the city council that certain West Chicago areas as having special historic, community, architectural or archeological value as "historic districts".
(7) Keep a register of all property and structures which have been designated under this division, including all information required for each designation.
(8) Determine an appropriate system of markers and make recommendation for the design and implementation of specific markings of the streets and routes leading from one (1) historic district to another, or a landmark.
(9) Advise and assist owners of landmarks and property or structures within historic districts on procedures for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
(10) Inform and educate the citizens of West Chicago concerning the historic and architectural heritage of the city.
(11) Review building permit applications for construction, alteration, removal or demolition of designated landmarks or structures within historic districts and to notify the city council of the commission's decision to issue or deny certificates of appropriateness for such actions. Applicants shall be required to submit one (1) additional set of plans, drawings, elevations, specifications and other information as may be necessary to make decisions in conjunction with the application to the building department.
(12) Develop specific design criteria for the restoration, construction or removal of landmarks, or property and improvements within historic district which will be approved by council.
(13) Review and advise on proposed zoning amendments, applications for special uses or applications for zoning variances that affect designated landmarks and historic districts.
(14) Accept and administer on behalf of the city upon designation by the city council, such gifts or grants of money as may be designated by the grantor or donor for the uses and purposes of this division. Such money may be expended for publishing maps and brochures, or for hiring staff persons or consultants or performing other appropriate functions for the purpose of carrying out the duties and powers of the commission and the purposes of this division.
(15) Call upon city staff members as well as to engage other experts and professionals for technical advice as may be required, and as may be provided for in the budget of the commission.
(16) Testify before all boards, committees, agencies and commissions including the city plan commission, building committee and the zoning board of appeals on any matter affecting historically and architecturally significant property, structures and areas.
(17) Insure that recognition is conferred upon the owners of designated landmarks or property or improvements within historic district.
(18) Periodically review the West Chicago zoning ordinance and to recommend to the plan commission and the city council any amendments appropriate for the protection and continued use of landmarks or property and improvements within designated historic districts.
(19) Provide guidelines approved by the city council to the building department for methods and procedures, to notify the historical commission of proposed construction alteration, removal or demolition of designated landmarks or improvements within historic districts.
(20) Undertake any other action or activity necessary or appropriate for the implementation of its powers and duties, or to the implementation of the purposes of this division, as permitted by statute, and approved by city council.
Commission Members: Vince Malina (Chairperson), Keith Letsche (Vice Chairperson), Richard Vigsnes, Reverend Bill Andrews, SueEllen Edwards, Crystal Noland-Riani, and Wendy Christman.
View the Historical Preservation Commission's Agendas and Meeting Minutes.